Re: Starter Saga V & ??

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 22:40:25 PDT

Ok guys,
    I'm going to stick my neck out here....
This is a gut response and not based on any real logic.

If it were me, I would swap out the starter with the new replacement
that the Military came up with.
It is a gear reduction 24 volt starter. I had some starter problems a
while back and ended up getting one of these.
They run like a swiss watch and by the sound, you wouldn't think you
were driving anything bigger that an
electric shaver. Bear in mind this is for the M1008. I don't know if the
M1009 uses the same starter, but I suspect it does.

I don't think this is the exact answer to the question, but I think
that there is a lot less current flying around with
the geared starter and I am guessing that will make things a little more
dependable.

That being said, get rid of the under dash relay and replace with a
heavy duty one!

Note to self. Follow your own advice stupid!!!

Bruce MVPA 23824