RE: What years were M16s halfracks made

From: roughdoc@comcast.net
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 09:16:55 PDT

The vehicle was developed in 1938 by White Motor Company. The original
order was for 64 units, all of which were given to the 7th Cavalry Brigade.
Eventually the Army decided to adopt an improved version, designated M3A1.
The new version had longer and wider hull. In front of the bumper a roller
was mounted; it could be lowered to help the vehicle to traverse soft
ground. The M3A1 could carry up to seven infantry and provide fire support
with three machine guns (one 12.7mm and two 7.62mm) mounted on a skate rail
around the hull.

The production of the M3A1 was started in 1941 and lasted until 1944, with
20,918 vehicles built.