Re: General Motors to End Hummer H1 Production

From: Dick (rertman@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 15:22:37 PDT

Interesting, Darrell. I didn't know the H1 got 22 mpg with the
Duramax/Allison combo.

There already are lots of H1 and MIL surplus Humvees out there doing public
safety
work.

As I recall, the government pays around $30 K each for a MIL Humvee, so I've
never
figured out why GM nails you twice that much or more for an H1. Does the H1
have all the fancy waterproof electrics and fording plugs on it like the MIL
version?

Obviously, the H1 has a 14 VDC electrical system, while the Humvee comes
with a 14
VDC system.

I have a sneaky feeling that the MIL Humvee production will also cease soon
unless the
gov't starts trading up to the ones with the Isuzu Duramax/Allison
combo...or maybe
they'll just have the present fleet updated to that combo.

Dick