Interesting SPAM Emailing of List Member Addresses

From: Glenn Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 14:15:30 PDT

Hi Guys
I guess this would be an on-topic matter affecting the list. I have been
watching an interesting situation re. spamming of list addresses and was
wondering if others have seen it too.

Probably once or twice a day I get Spam emails from what appears to be a
Chinese (or other Asian) operation.

I did all the usuals and check my own computer completely and it is scanned
and clean. Then I noticed that it only comes in on addresses that have been
or are currently subscribed to the this list. Once they get that address
the spam continues even after I unsub from the list with that address. To
test the theory I unsubbed from the list and created a new address and then
began posting with that and now it is getting the spam from them too.

It seems that somehow they are mining the list for usable addresses. I
don't know if there is anything to do about it anyway from a practical
standpoint and they are all caught and dumped by my Spam K9 filter program.
The emails are all originating from about 4 IP addresses according to the
headers. Inquiries are ignored amazingly enough :) I guess it is just a

sign of the times on the Internet and why the Web format such as Steel
Soldiers and G503 seem to be the thing now. I like the email list format
even though it is now antique but it is too bad that this stuff goes on.

Regards
Glenn