Ethanol

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 04:05:58 PDT

> One thing is for sure, none of us will be using it in any of our current
> MVs unless we are planning a major rework of the vehicle. Particulary
> the replacement of ALL alloy, brass and zinc parts (including parts
> plated with those metals) and rubber that is in contact with the fuel.

some 20 years ago when I found alcohol fuel additive I was at a farm tractor
dealership that purchased methanol alcohol to mix with the water we put in
farm tractors as added weight, alcohol was to keep water from freezing -
dealership owner took new, clean 1000 gallon fuel tank put 900 gallons
gasoline and 90 gallons methanol alcohol in it, fueled shop truck, and a
couple other vehicles, in about 48 hours they all stopped running,
examination found black granules smaller than ball out of ballpoint pen,
resembling coal both in hardness and texture. shop truck had about 1/2 cup
in it, other vehicles some less.

We asked district manager for help, he took samples of fuel and granules to
lab. we were told that methanol had released the granules from where they
had settled over time inside vehicle fuel tanks as residue from gasoline.
Additionally we were told that methanol would attack gaskets, "O" rings, and
fuel line material in use at this time (all the vehicles were from the 70s).
Ethanol (grain alcohol) would not have done this, but as it is whiskey grade
material was illegal to posses without federal tax stamps.

He tried some of the mixture in his new car (82) and had no problems.