White star and circle D-Day vehicle marking

From: Kees Stravers (kees.stravers@iae.nl)
Date: Sat May 20 2006 - 03:59:53 PDT

Hi,

This is my first post on this mailing list. My name is Kees and I own
a CCKW. I am writing an article for a small magazine about it and I
have a question about the markings on it that I haven't been able to
find an answer for.

My truck was made in 1945 but the person who restored it put a white
star on it without a circle around it. But I was told that just
before D-Day the allies put circles around the stars on their
vehicles and black and white stripes on the planes to tell them apart
from possible imposters from the enemy. I also have seen white stars
with broken circles around them on vehicles.

Can anyone shed some light on the history of the white star on the
vehicles during Wold War II? Did the circle appear mid 44 and was
removed again later perhaps? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kees Stravers
http://vrza.dse.nl/wc52/