Re: White star and circle D-Day vehicle marking

From: Jess Minton (pd.minton@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 20:26:01 PDT

Kees,
   I know the reason for the broken circle is basically because of
the paint mask.. the breaks in the circles were where the paper
connected to the part that made the star.. since paint masks were
rarely used in the field.. whoever got stuck painting the trucks just
filled in the circles... I know in the Pacific theater Jeeps usually
had no markings other then unit bumper markings and hood numbers or
if they had stars there would be no circles since this was a Europe
theater thing.. I do know that towards the end of the war and in the
early days of peacetime trucks got a lot more white paint, bigger
stars and even white bumpers since attack from the air wasn't really
a threat as much as getting into an accident was...
Jess Minton
Arlington, Tx
42 GPW