Selectro Hubs?

From: Jim Stead (Gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 16:22:59 PDT

I have a couple of Selectro locking hubs I thought I'd put on my deuce but I
noticed something with them I don't like.

The guts of the locking mechanism are retained on the inside by a snap ring.
It's nothing more than a curved round wire, and it doesn't even fit
completely into the groove of the hub housing. The groove is smaller than
the ring. It looks like a good vibration could shake these things apart...

Maybe there's some sort of wedge action happening between the snap ring, the
groove in the hub, and the guts being retained by the ring? Is that how a
wire type retainer normally works?

I probably never would have even noticed it, but one of the rings came loose
in shipping. Finding the ring loose in the box made me wonder if I want to
put these hubs on my truck!

Anyone ever use these hubs? Anyone ever heard of a manufacturing defect
recall by Selectro? I'm very surprised by the cheap ring, I can't believe
they would even consider building them this way. I mean, what's an internal
C-ring cost gonna cost them?

Thanks,
Jim