RE: Changing the name of the Post Office in Scio, NY

From: Art (MTA) (aws@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 06:16:24 PDT

Another Vet honored in PA.

Art

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,98528,00.html?ESRC=army-a.nl

Post Office Renamed for Delta Force Sniper
Army News Service | May 25, 2006
Newville, PA. - The Newville, Pa., Post Office will be named in honor of
Newville native Sergeant First Class Randall Shughart May 29 at 3 p.m.

Shughart was killed in October, 1993, defending downed helicopter pilot
Michael Durant in Mogadishu, Somalia. He was posthumously awarded the
Medal of Honor, the military's highest decoration.

Durant will speak at the dedication ceremony, and Black Hawk helicopters
will fly over the town and land in the community ball field.

"Shughart's heroic actions are an example of the exemplary men and women
we have serving abroad today to defend our freedoms. Not every community
is privileged to have a Medal of Honor recipient - in fact it is rare,"
said Congressman Bill Shuster, who along with Congressman Todd Platts
sponsored Legislation to designate the post office as the "Randall D.
Shughart United States Post Office Building."

"It is a great privilege for me to help sponsor this legislation
honoring Medal of Honor recipient Randall Shughart," Platts said. The
unparalleled liberties and freedoms that all Americans enjoy would not
be but for the selfless and courageous sacrifice of true American heroes
such as Sergeant First Class Shughart. We are forever indebted to him
and all of our Nation's men and women in uniform who have made the
ultimate sacrifice on our behalf."

At the time of his death, Shughart was a Sniper Team Member of the U.S.
Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu.

The enlisted Soldiers barracks at Carlisle Barracks, Pa., is also named
in honor of Shughart.
Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion.

Copyright 2006 Army News Service. All opinions expressed in this article
are the author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Military.com.