MV Titles

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 17:35:43 PDT

As a person who had done this rodeo many times, this should answer a
few questions with regard to a title.

     If a MV has a 5 digit VIN number, (which is not uncommon for a MV) it
can be titled. However it may have a same number in common with a trailer
or other homemade vehicle that is already registered with someone else.
When this occurs, zeros can be added to the PREFIX ONLY. But you don't do
this yourself! The DMV can help you here. I have seen them add zeros to
the suffiix of the VIN as well BUT YOU DON'T DO THIS WITH OUT THEIR HELP!!!
Most times if the number is an objection with DMV, they will assign it a new
VIN number and issue a new VIN tag as this is what they do with recovered
stolen vehicles with altered or missing numbers. Homemade vehicles and
other kit cars get the same treatment.

  Next question I have is why would you EVEN THINK that you can/could add
numbers to your VIN to satisfy DMV????? Don't you ever do this!! If you
ever want to know the true meaning of the word "dumbass" just try handing in
paperwork with extra numbers that don't mean anything or have anything in
common with your VIN plate!!! A police officer will inspect your vehicle in
this process and you would have a lot to explain here. Let's just say you
did get it registered with "extra" numbers (not issued to you by DMV) to get
it through and then later get stopped for one reason or another and they
check & look at the numbers. INSTANT CONFISCATION and you have absolutely
NOTHING to prove it is yours PERIOD and you may never get it back. If you
don't get arrested for fictious VIN numbers, you will have heavy duty
summons issued to you plus big headaches with lots of explaining to more
than one person and you will know/look like "dumbass" in court!! 'Nuff said
here.

     GL is no longer giving 97's for many MV's so you make sure you have a
bill of sale from them WITH THE VIN NUMBER!! Next you have a police officer
of your jurisdiction preferibly verify the VIN/SERIAL number (not the
registration number on the data plate) on an official letterhead with all of
his contact info and badge number. All police officers know how to do this.
(most do anyway-find one who is familiar with this) Take this paperwork
(notarize everything) and go to your DMV and swear a "title by affidavit".
(most states do this) If they don't, they should help you through this
process. Whatever you do, don't get a young girl/guy who only processes
renewal tags, get the supervisor. If they don't know, have them call their
superior but above all, keep it as simple as you can, DON'T VOLUNTEER
USELESS/UNNECESSARY info. The clerk will be confusing enough, don't talk
about your hobby or your other interests other than a simple explanation of
how you obtained this vehicle and GL doesn't give 97's anymore for most
vehicles. Get a copy of this order from GL's website and include it with
your paperwork WITH the website address/URL.

     A bill of sale from DRMO or GL will help immensely in obtaining title
for your MV and this should answer about 85% of the questions in this
matter.

Julian Burke