Titling a M725 in Virginia - questions before I go to the "Man"...

From: Mike Davidsen (mike@aspirationsoftware.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 06:23:54 PDT

Okay, it's high time I get a title for my rig since its probably going
to be on the road here shortly. Bought it with no title, just a sales
slip, since Feb 2005 I lost the sales slip. I was going to go through
Broadway title, they seem to have the easyest way of getting a
Certificate to Obtain Title, at least here in VA.

Questions I have are:

1. How much trouble would it be at the VA DMV when they see the VIN is 5
digits long?

2. If the above 5 digits are not sufficent, how do I give them a longer
number that doesn't exist?

3. The limit for civilian vehicles in the state of VA for GVWR is around
7,500 lbs, without getting titled and registered as a commercial vehicle
(requiring a CDL to drive). The GVWR for my rig is 8,900 lbs. Is this
a problem? How can I get around it? For those who don't know, a M725
is the ambulance varinat of the M715 pickup, same as a Jeep Gladiator.

Thanks for all the help...

Mike Davidsen
1967 Kaiser M-725 ambulance