Re: Dayton MVPA pics

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2006 - 08:17:13 PDT

beng79 wrote:

>Sorry, but you are very wrong in that assessment. This vehicle was no
>improvised design. It was an integral part of the German series of half- (or

>rather three-quarter-)tracked vehicles, and built on the same principles.

>Like its bigger cousins, this vehicle had a dual steering system, with
>steering brakes on the tracks taking over for tighter turns. The tracks had
>rubber-clad links, with greased pins like the bigger vehicles, needing an
>enormous amount if maintenace. It was intended as a replacement for heavy
>motorcycles in situations where these were insufficient.
>
>This vehicle is very attractive among collectors and museums today.
>
>Do a google on 'kettenkrad' and you will have near to 100,000 hits to check
>out!

Thanks for the correction. I stand humbly corrected. Even if it was an
oddball, I could still see why it would be collectible if only because
of its uniqueness.

I like the dual steering concept, but can't help but think that a normal
vehicular 2 front wheel steering system would alter the course of, as on
most half tracks, would be much more effective in turning such a heavy
vehicle. That is a tiny patch of rubber to be vectoring so much mass in
motion upon.

Marty