M816 Brakes

From: V SCHWARTZ (vsaws@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 10:13:27 PDT

Well Folks, I have been having one hard time trying to post to the list.
Between the administrators and Brother Pat, I think we got 'er done. If you
guys get this, then I'll be happy. Ther is MV content in it: Here goes: I
Got the wrecker up on jacks and am taking the wheels off to get to the
wheel cylinders. The first one that I got off Is so full of crud I frankly
can't figure how it works at all. I guess all those airpacs that I put on
must really be powerful. Iopened the cylinder anda lot of black gunk came
out (semi solid stuff) there is definitly aseperation of the fluids and
crud on the bench.I am wondering if water or the wrong brake fluid was
introduced to the system by a previous owner.It was originally titled to the
U of Michigan. Well one wheel is redone anis being reinstalled now. I have
to stop until I get the proper socket 4&7/8" to run the nut on the axel
housing back up. then it will be on to the other side. I did find that the
wheel berings were in bad need of new grease which will be done also. Only a
little honing of the cylinder was needed Don't have new seals so the old
ones are going back on they look okay so I can wait until I get new ones to
replace them.Thank god that the thing is a wrecker, cause without that boom
I'd never be able to move those tires or hubs. Just want to thank all on
the list who offered advice with the problem. I tried to contact a few guys
prior to today but the mails were all getting bounced I think someone put
the horns on me. Again, I hope this gets out cause all this typing is
making me wish I had spent more time studying in school. Oh well. Vinny