Re: Director Trailer Info Needed.

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 07:46:14 PDT

Jon, and others, give this a shot....

Try this link:
http://ahecwebdds.carlisle.army.mil/awapps/main.jsp?flag=browse&smd=2&awdid=1

for the 1950 version of SR 310-20-4 Index of {ALL... EVERY single one!}
TMs, TBs Lube Orders etc. of all Army equipment in use at the time it was
published. Trucks, tents, saws, bridges, cook stoves, guns, .... It's 465
pages and around 10 MB in size. There are a couple of more up to date
versions buried in the archives if you want to search for them also (1955,
1960s and I think one around 1978 or so, but they won't cover the 1940s WWII
stuff).
     The museum has had some folks mucking around and 'improving' the way
they listed stuff and now it is harder to find stuff on the site. They used
to have the three volumes of the Standard Catalog of Military Equipment in
the WWII TM section and now who knows where they are. TM and FMs are found
under both 'Authority Documents' and the 'Military Publications' of the same
historical periods, some duplicated, some not, so searching all of them is a
tedious necessity to avoid missing things.
    The Searchlights are in the TM 5 Engineer series of manuals ... TM
5-7100 through 5-7146. But they are also covered in FMs too. See Below
    There are 52 hits when you search for 'director', and a lot that don't
have any thing to do with 4 machine guns when you search for 'QUAD'. I think
the correct term you want to use is 'Multiple'. 35 hits for that as in
"Carriage, Multiple Cal. .50 Machine Gun, M51 etc...."
    One hit was for TM 9-789 Trailer, Mount, M20 (Component of Mount,
Trailer, Multiple Caliber .50 Machine Gun, M55) dated 16 Sep 1944 and LO
9-789.
    Some of the TMs and Pubs can be found on this site. For example, in the
WWII section you can download "TM 9-707 Basic Half-Track Vehicles (IHC)
(Personnel Carrier M5, Car M9A1, Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M14, And
Similar IHC Vehicles). It's 25 MB in size, has lots of neat pictures, but
doesn't go into much detail on the gun mount.
    http://ahecwebdds.carlisle.army.mil/awapps/main.jsp?flag=browse&smd=2&awdid=120
gets you FM 4-29 ( Service of Seacoast Searchlight ) which has a little info
on the search lights, trailers and generators. There are manuals for CCKWs,
WCs, Jeeps, big trucks, tanks, halftracks and tools throughout the site,
along with Tech manuals for Axis and contemporary enemy equipment too.
    If the TMs and FMs aren't on the site, at least you'll have the right
numbers to chase down elsewhere. But quite a few are, scanned very well and
it beats paying $40 a pop for repro manuals. Did I mention the downloads are
FREE?
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Ronzo