Re: What gear oil for 1008?

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 09:48:50 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "captw1" <captw1@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] What gear oil for 1008?

> neither axle in the M1008 requires a "limited slip
> additive because the truck is not equipped with ltd.
> slip diffs. ...the rear is a Detroit type locker and
> does not require the additive...basic 80W 90 Hypoid
> gear oil is quite adequate...as an aside, use Dexron
> II or higher grade transmission oil in the
> transfer***do not use gear oil in the NP208 transfer
> case***...Wilf

Hmm...just checked the LO and yup, unless you have an M1028 or M1031 and
need it for the front differential, apparently you can just use GO. The
strange thing is that in the -10 "Differences between models" chart, it
shows the M1008 all the way through the M1031 as having the "No-spin
differential" which I always took to be limited-slip, hence the use of
limited slip 90W. The chart shows the only "locking differential" to be in
the M1009, but my parts book shows both the D1 and D3 as having "locking
differentials". I learned something.