Re: *SPAM* Re: What gear oil for 1008?

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 10:12:20 PDT

Marty Galyean wrote:

> There are hybrid type systems like the the Powertrax that is a locker
> that only engages when both wheels are going the same speed (vehicle
> moving in a straight line) and powers the *inside* wheel on corners.
> I have one of these on my Dakota pickemup 2wd and it works darn good.
> Much better than an open diff anyway.

Clarification: The Powertrax isn't a hybrid of limited slip and a
locker. It doesn't have clutches like a limited slip, nor does it
slip. It is really a hybrid of a regular open differential and a locker
differential. It is a locker that automatically disengages when
cornering and acts like an oddball open diff (normal open diffs drive
the *outside* wheel on corners). It works in reverse or forward.

Marty