Military Vehicles, August 1996,: Re: jeep kits

Re: jeep kits

Steven Malikoff (steven@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 07:36:45 +1000 (EST)

Sean wrote:
> are there aftermarket jeep kits available (notice I used the lowercase j)
> I am very interested in building one from start to finish, no
> restoration. I just need a link to a catalog or the like that has a
> complete kit for a WWII jeep or a aftermarket lookalike. I am not to
> particular about its authenticity.

I sawa photo in a 4WD magazine some years ago of an all fiberglass MB
replica body for sale, I think it was a dutch or swedish (or some european
country) that was producing them.
Short of that, one of the blokes in our WW2 jeep club took a metalworking
course at a college and made his own body tub from scratch out of stainless
steel (good for corrosion resistance but not good for flexibility - SS
is brittle).
I've seen some awful "conversions" - there was nothing left of the jeep
apart from the mudguards and the grille, and overpowered to boot. Should
one of these things have a serious accident, the Motor Registry might take
the view that all WW2 jeeps are therefore dangerous and should be taken off
the road, despite original vehicles anly having a 66 HP motor.

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au