Military Vehicles, August 1996,: Re: jeep kits

Re: jeep kits

Colin Brookes (Colin@h-bplan.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:25:56 +0100

In message <m0uqR8o-000B5oC@phaedra.apana.org.au>, Steven Malikoff
<steven@phaedra.apana.org.au> writes
>Sean wrote:
>> are there aftermarket jeep kits available (notice I used the lowercase j)
>> I am very interested in building one from start to finish, no
>> restoration. I just need a link to a catalog or the like that has a
>> complete kit for a WWII jeep or a aftermarket lookalike. I am not to
>> particular about its authenticity.
>
>I sawa photo in a 4WD magazine some years ago of an all fiberglass MB
>replica body for sale, I think it was a dutch or swedish (or some european
>country) that was producing them.
>Short of that, one of the blokes in our WW2 jeep club took a metalworking
>course at a college and made his own body tub from scratch out of stainless
>steel (good for corrosion resistance but not good for flexibility - SS
>is brittle).
>I've seen some awful "conversions" - there was nothing left of the jeep
>apart from the mudguards and the grille, and overpowered to boot. Should
>one of these things have a serious accident, the Motor Registry might take
>the view that all WW2 jeeps are therefore dangerous and should be taken off
>the road, despite original vehicles anly having a 66 HP motor.
>
>Steve.
>steven@phaedra.apana.org.au

Every single component of a WW2 Jeep can be bought in replica, and that
includes body-tubs wheels etc etc. Holland and Belgium are typicaly
good scources. Reomie's have a huge warehouse full of all the
components. I believe body tubs are made in Taiwan. And of course
there are many interchangeable Hotchkiss parts available from France.

There is also an awful kit-car (slightly similar), known as a Jago-Jeep.

I think it is still easier to restore an original one with either
genuine or reproduction parts.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colin@h-bplan.demon.co.uk