Military Vehicles, August 1996,: RE:Newsgroup

RE:Newsgroup

Richard Marsden (marsden@digicon-egr.co.uk)
Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:19:54 BST

Hop this gets through, and I've mailed it to the right address for the
mil-veh listserver!

Although I wasn't aware of the newsgroup vote, my thoughts on the subject:

a.) Some of cannot (or find it difficult to) get newsgroups.
b.) Newsgroups tend to have very broken threads.
c.) Newsgroups tend to be the places of flame wars, and all the other ills
of the Internet. This is an interesting contrast to "local" conferences
(eg. CIX or CompuServe) or listservers. These, for some reason, are much
friendlier. Perhaps because there is the threat of moderation.

If a newsgroup was to be started, I wouldn't join it because of (a), and
that although I can get at the newsgroups, its so much hassle, that its
not worth it because of (c).

Richard (ex-Gurkha SIII 109 FFR)