Military Vehicles, September 1996,: Re: Info wanted on Dodge M37 3/4 ton trucks

Re: Info wanted on Dodge M37 3/4 ton trucks

Steve (landcru@wavenet.com)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 13:34:47 -0700

Soren A. Barr wrote:

> I'm looking into buying a Dodge M37 Truck for general use but I'de like to
> get more info on them. I've seen them before but never with the intenion of
> buying one and I can't find one locally to take a look at.
> Basically I'de like to know how usable this truck is for more or less daily
> use. Does it drive ok, ie is the steering _really_ hard, can it be parked in
> a parking lot ok, things like that. How does the truck compare to other
> trucks of the 1950's, how about to more modern trucks?
> Also What kinds of things should I look for/at when buying one? any trouble
> spots or nice add-ons/features? Any info or experience with these would be
> appreciated, Thanks.

Soren Barr

M37's are quite tough vehicles. They are way overbuilt as usual for
Military
Trucks. They can be used as daily drivers although they are not very
fast.
In a stock configuration, they will be hard pressed to do better than
55 miles per hour. Also that is a real killer for the original flat head
six engine. They can be re-geared and re-powered with V-8 engines, but
you are going to get into quite a bit of money to do that.
I have also seen power steering conversions that are executed quite
nicely.
You can use a steering box from a one ton chevy pickup and fabricate
mounts
for the power steering pump on the original engine or your conversion
engine.
They are prone to rusting in the back of the cab and in the tool box
area of the bed. Those are two spots to look out for when you go to
purchase.

--