Military Vehicles, November 1996,: Re: Military Jeep Purchase

Re: Military Jeep Purchase

Jason Caniglia (caniglia@saintmarys.edu)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:42:54 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Mike.Fuller wrote:

> I am interested in purchasing a military jeep for restoral purposes.
> I would like to know how I should go about getting a jeep fit for
> restoral. Does the government still sell the jeeps for $50... If so,
> what condition are they in when you receive them. Any help at all
> would be appreciated.

Mike,

While I do not own a military vehicle (currently searching for a good starter
project), I have owned some Jeeps. There may have been a time when the
government auctioned off surplus Jeeps for $50, but as far as I can tell,
they go for quit a bit more these days.

You probably have seen the "Guide to Government Auctions" pamlets they
sell as your checking our in the grochery line. They bost of $50 Jeeps or
$100 motorcylces. I think I even purchased one of these publications a
few years back but these are usually just money schemes. The $50 Jeep is
extremely unlikely.

I have been searching for an inexpensive military Jeep to restore for the past
few months. I work for a nonprofit organization, so money is a serious
consideration. So far, I have conducted this search mostly through the
internet. I've been looking for something that is affordable to restore and
maintain, while being able to use it off-road. I love the look of the older
"flat fenders," but I am leaning more towards an M151 A2 right now. Just to
give you an idea of cost, I have not been able to find one in decent shape
for under $4,000. So if anyone out there knows where I can pick one up for
less, please let me know :-)

There are several web pages dedicated to government auctions or military
surplus dealers. I have not attended a government auction yet, so maybe
someone with more experience on the list could address how these work or
what Jeeps go for. I have been keeping an eye on the surplus market and
some of these Jeeps are really expensive. Below I have listed some of the
web pages that might lead you in the right direction. If any other list
members have suggestions or sources, I would appreciate hearing about
them as well.

Public Sales - Government Surplus Items:
http://www.drms.dla.mil/drmo/local.html

Auction List: www.drms.dla.mil/asset/public1.html

Jeep & 4x4 Salvage Yards: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tlphili/4x4junk.html

4WD: http://www.sofcom.com.au/4WD/4WD.html

Military Vehicle Preservation Association:
http://users.aol.com/supplyline/mvpa/mvpa.html

Armourer Magazine: http://www.smart.co.uk/armourer

Militaria Magazine: http://www.militaria.com

Owens Export Service: http://web.wavenet.com/oes/

Military Surplus: http://PersonalWebs.myriad.net/gspubl/home.htm

I hope this helps you Mike and I hope others on the list could give us some
tips.

Jason