Military Vehicles, November 1996,: RE: C13 Radio

RE: C13 Radio

Gerry Davison (gerry@login.dknet.dk)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:59:48 +0100 (MET)

In message Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:43:36 GMT,
Jim Mills <ak376@freenet.carleton.ca> writes:

> I recently acquired a British military C13 transmitter/receiver, and
> hope someone can provide me with some info. Specifically:
> c. It appears to operate in the 1.5 Mhz to 12 Mhz range. this
> seems to be a very low band (My C42 is about 36 Mhz to 60 Mhz, I
> think). What purpose would such a low frequency radio serve?

Hi Jim

I don't know the C13 at all, but the bands you mentioned, I do know.
Radios operating in the 1.5-3.6Mhz band (160m - 80m wavelength) were used
(and are still used by some) for short to medium distance (upto a couple
of hundred kilometers depending on time of day) communication. The 4Mhz-
6Mhz band was used extensively for medium range to medium long range
communication. The 6Mhz-12Mhz band for medium long range to long range.
For example, from just after dusk until just before dawn, it is possible to
reach New Zealand from Alaska on the 12Mhz band (I have tried it).
The following bands were, and in some places still are, used for naval
communications.
1.6-1.8Mhz 3.5-3.8Mhz 4.2-4.6Mhz 6.3-6.7Mhz 8.2-8.6Mhz 12.5-13.3Mhz.
Your C42 is a very short to short range unit, used extensively for
mobile to mobile communications, which explains why its frequency is so
high.

Regards
Gerry Davison - FMKB Denmark