Military Vehicles, November 1996,: RE: C13 Radio

RE: C13 Radio

Richard Evans (richard.evans@rd.bbc.co.uk)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:23:56 +0000

At 16:59 22/11/96 +0100, Gerry Davison wrote:
>In message Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:43:36 GMT,
> Jim Mills <ak376@freenet.carleton.ca> writes:
>
>> I recently acquired a British military C13 transmitter/receiver, and
>> hope someone can provide me with some info. Specifically:
>> c. It appears to operate in the 1.5 Mhz to 12 Mhz range. this
>> seems to be a very low band (My C42 is about 36 Mhz to 60 Mhz, I
>> think). What purpose would such a low frequency radio serve?

The distance over which radio equipment can operate depends on the power
output of the transmitter, the frequency it operates on, antenna type, (and
also the time of day). Generally the lower the frequency the better the
range. The military have frequencies all over the spectrum, ranging from
line of site microwave equipment (many GHz) to very low frequencies which
travel thousand of miles.

In relation to broadcast frequencies, in the UK, 1.5 MHz is roughly the AM
or MW broadcast band. 12 MHz is "short wave" - obviously used for
international high power transmission. I think dividing up such a small band
into short/med/long range is a bit specific. A lot depends on other factors.

richard e.

just my personal 2p worth.

Richard H. Evans R&D Engineer

Mail: BBC R&D Department, Kingswood Warren, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 6NP
Tel: +44 1737 836678
Fax: +44 1737 836667
e-mail: richard.evans@rd.bbc.co.uk