Military Vehicles, December 1996,: Re: Military Surplus of Hummers

Re: Military Surplus of Hummers

Jason Caniglia (caniglia@saintmarys.edu)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:39:54 -0500 (EST)

I live in the heart of Hummerville: Mishawaka, Indiana. If there is
anyone who is interested in getting surplus Military Hummers, it is the
company that makes them. The Hummer executives know how valuable their
vehicle is on the secondary markets both domestically and abroad. In
fact, the Hummer company has been putting pressure on the government not
to sell any used Hummers on the surplus market but rather, to sell them
back to Hummer. They would fix them up and sell them to foreign countries
and to the domestic market. However, since the government has not agreed
to this, Hummer does not see it in its best interest to compete with
their own vehicle sales on the secondary market.

There are so many people interested in this vehicle that the demand for used
domestic hummers greatly surpasses the supply. Last year I was looking to
invest in a used domestic hummer but found that they were not available,
let alone that the price was outragous. I ended up trading in my old Jeep
for a new TJ Wrangler because the hummer was not an option. I toured the
factory and spoke with several reps about this issue and it doesn't look
like the situation will improve any time soon for used domestic Hummers,
let alone the availability of Military Surplus Hummers.

One interesting note, if you want an indication of what area is hot in
international affairs, simply drive buy the Hummer plant to see what
color of paint they are putting on the next batch of Military Hummers.
When the Persian Gulf was heating up, the lot was flooded with desert
camo Hummers. When North Korea was getting tense, Hummers were being
created with camo that matched the North Korean country side. I believe
the government is aware of how obvious this is and in fact, use it as a
deterant to other countries.

If I hear of any changes regarding the marketing of surplus or used
domestic Hummers, I will let the list know.

Jason
97 TJ Sport