Military Vehicles, January 1997,: (no subject)

(no subject)

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 22:12:00 +0100

Arthur C. Kyle wrote:

> From: "Maurice Geraets" <maurice.geraets@nlvhvfsc.origin.nl>
> Subject: History Willys MB?
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:26:04 +0100
>
> Since last year I own a 1942 Willys MB, chassis number 130555.
>
> I'm very curious about finding out more about this vehicle.
> I would like help in answering the following questions:
> * What is the contract number (between Min. of Defense and
> Willys-Overland) ?
> * What is the original registration number (in white on the hood) ?
> * On what date was my MB delivered?
> * How, when and where did the MB reach Europe in WWII ?
> * In what army force was it used ?
> * Any other information about its WWII history ?
>
> Can anyone help me in answering these questions, or in getting
> a little closer to the answers ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Maurice Geraets
> Eindhoven
> The Netherlands

Hi Maurice,

Your MB was probably build somewhere around March 26 1942, It came
from contract DA-W-398-QM-189(3) and the registration number on the
hood could be around 2082048. I got this information from the
following books: "Jeep" by Becker and Dentzer and "All American Wonder
Vol.2" by Ray Cowdery. It will probably be very hard to track down the
history of your MB, I don't know where you have to inquire and I don't
know if they actually wrote down on paper to which outfit what serial
number went, and how long it stayed there etc.etc..
There has to be somekind of administration about the big vehicle depots
after the war, and about which serial numbers went to what country.
You could also try to find if there is any information on your MB
by carefully sanding off the newer paintlayers and see if there
are any numbers under it.
I hope someone else can give you a bit more information on your
MB.

Greetings,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen