Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Jeep Trivia

Jeep Trivia

Bill Kish (kish@browncow.com)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:12:58 -0500

Tony Standefer writes:
> Does anybody out there know what the two holes in the headlight opening
> are for on a ww2 jeep. Is it for some winterization kit or part of the
> manufacturing process?? I would also like to hear from anyone who has
> or is restoring a ww2 USMC jeep.

I have a photo of a "headlight guard" installed between those two
holes that a friend sent me. It's a simple arc of 1/4" round steel
with flattened/punched ends with bolt holes that line up with the
headlight holes. The thing looks factory made, but I have a hard time
believing that there is any necessity for a guard when the headlights
are so well recessed. In other words, I have no idea what those holes
are for.

-BK