Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: Ferret

Re: Ferret

cat@methow.com
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 21:39:20 -0830

Bryon,

Have only been skimming mail of late.. but happened to read this discussion
on your Ferret..

Regarding oil.. The guys here would only use Delo 15/40 detergent engine
oil in their Ferrets.. I was out in the shop tonite while they were working
on #2 Ferret and you're oil discussion entered my brain and so I brought up
the subject.. Denny was adament on using a high detergent multigrade oil in
the Rolls Royce motor.. ( Just a suggestion, of course.... )

Also Den says DONT USE STANDARD BRAKE FLUID... use dot 5 silicone fluid,
cause dot 3 will condensate and cause water in your system where dot 5
wont..

We have also dealt with Lionheart.. That's were the M432 came from.. Great
people to deal with, but we find that what they think is "Complete - Award
Winning - Show Condition" vehicles.. need ALOT of work on our end..

Your mention of missing inpection plates is typical of what I'm talking about..

The 432 was supposed to have won all kinds of awards in the UK.. and was
just repainted in Desert Tan before it's trip across the pond.. They
evidentually didn't even prep before the paint. After we got it home from
Tacoma, during that snow storm, the first of Dec.. it needed a bath and so
Den took it over to our Steam Clean rack and hosed it down.. Half of the
paint came off with the snow and grime.. Denny and Ross have had it in the
shop off and on ever since fixing this or that. Just little stuff. -

All in all we find that our views of "Condition" differs as badly as the
mutual language we share with the British.. (:>)..

At 0:05 1/18/97, FIREBASEZ@aol.com wrote:
>Doug,
>I have checked my engine oil, it is a little dirty but I have not had a
>chance to change it yet. When I do I plan to use SAE 30 engine oil (poss W/
>detergent additives). The transfer box oil looked clean. My materials
>indicate 80/90w gear oil...... etc...... snipped....

/\
/ \
--- ---
Cat & Dennis Buchholz