Military Vehicles, January 1997,: [Fwd: Re: GPW floor panel replacement]

[Fwd: Re: GPW floor panel replacement]

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:16:04 -0800

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:14:25 -0800
From: Tony Standefer <WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net>
To: Tanker06@aol.com
Subject: Re: GPW floor panel replacement

Tanker06@aol.com wrote:

> What all is involved in replacing the floor panels in
> a GPW body. All of the other rust is superficial, but the
> front floor panels are eaten through in several places.

Depending on how bad the rust is ( large holes or small holes) all that
needs to be done is cut out the bad spots and make patches to weld back
in. If you are reasonable competent with a welder it shouldn't be a
problem. A wire feed welder works best. If you can't weld then your
looking at quite a bit of labor which can really add up if your paying
someone. You can save on this by cutting out the bad spots, then making
the patches yourself. Flat Fenders Forever in Maine makes reproduction
hat channels for the floor, and I believe there are a couple of places
that make repro floor pans. I spent quite a bit of money having my
floor fixed in my willys. I think thats why alot of people are going to
repro bodies. However, for a TRUE restoration you should RESTORE the
original Body. I've thrown my two cents in, hope this helps

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys MB