Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: [Fwd: Re: GPW floor panel replacement]

Re: [Fwd: Re: GPW floor panel replacement]

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:11:23 -0600 (CST)

This brings up another question about repro bodies: I've never seen a
Genmarc body up close. I know they supplied a "GPW" body, but was it
REALLY a GPW body or was it an MB or composite body with Ford-style toolbox
lids? As some of you may know GPW bodies are quite different in many
details. I'm trying to make a decision whether to fix my rotted body or
to go with a new tub. Money has a lot to do with it and it may look
better and be less expensive (and time consuming) to buy a new body. But I
don't want to
sacrifice authenticity. I really need to completely replace the floor,
but once again, GPW hat channels are different from the MB's. Any info?

Mike Meister

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Tony Standefer wrote:

> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:14:25 -0800
> From: Tony Standefer <WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net>
> To: Tanker06@aol.com
> Subject: Re: GPW floor panel replacement
>
> Tanker06@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > What all is involved in replacing the floor panels in
> > a GPW body. All of the other rust is superficial, but the
> > front floor panels are eaten through in several places.
>
> Depending on how bad the rust is ( large holes or small holes) all that
> needs to be done is cut out the bad spots and make patches to weld back
> in. If you are reasonable competent with a welder it shouldn't be a
> problem. A wire feed welder works best. If you can't weld then your
> looking at quite a bit of labor which can really add up if your paying
> someone. You can save on this by cutting out the bad spots, then making
> the patches yourself. Flat Fenders Forever in Maine makes reproduction
> hat channels for the floor, and I believe there are a couple of places
> that make repro floor pans. I spent quite a bit of money having my
> floor fixed in my willys. I think thats why alot of people are going to
> repro bodies. However, for a TRUE restoration you should RESTORE the
> original Body. I've thrown my two cents in, hope this helps
>
> Tony Standefer
> 1944 Willys MB

Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
College Station, Texas
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
mike@agen.tamu.edu