Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: M38A1

Re: M38A1

Charles Schultz (charlie@valleysystems.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:49:06 -0700

Bill J Morin wrote:

> I just made a swap for my M-715, I now am the proud owner of an M38A1.
> Has an 327 chev eng, and rest is org. The probem is the T90 transmittion
> is fairly shucked. no 3rd gear, looks like 2nd and 3rd syncro tabs are
> trashed, and cluster gear is well worn. Question is, Is the T90 trans
> heavy enough for the stock 327, it looks like it is but I know nothing
> about the M38. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> Bill Morin

I don't know about an M38, but I have the same set-up (327 on a T-90) in
my Willys wagon and at minimum, have to replace the syncro's every 4-5K
miles and complete rebuild every 8k. This is even when keeping loads
and acceleration as light as I can. The T90 is a very light duty
transmission to bolt to a V8, with the inertia of a heavier clutch plate
and the higher torque. The M38 may be not be as much of a problem
though, since it is quite a bit lighter in weight. But, I would guess
most of the trashing of yours came from the V8.

Just my 2 cents,

Charles Schultz
Scottsdale, AZ