Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: British MV Marking

Re: British MV Marking

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 22:01:22 +0930

john edwards wrote:

> FIREBASEZ@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > My Ferret has a yellow circle with the number 4 in the middle painted on the
> > front of the right fender. The left fender has a stcker of the British flag.
> >
> > What does the number 4 designate?
> > I have seen similar markings on other British AFV's. Usually a 4 or 7.
> >
> > Is the sticker MoD issue, or should the flag be painted on?
> > Byron
>
> Bryon,
>
> Early start by the looks of it (03:10).
>
> This type of marking is used for Armoured Formations.
>
> (a) The colour yellow indicates either 2nd Armd Regiment or 2nd Armd
> Battalion.
>
> (b) The Circle indicates "C" company or squadron.
>
> (c) The number indicates a platoon, troop or section number of the
> Company or Squadron.
>
> That's all for now. Any further queries, please email me.
>
> John Edwards

John

I don't agree. Either I am way off target or you are because what
Byron is describing could just as easily be the virtually universal
bridge classification symbol (SOLID yellow circle with in the case
of the Ferret a '4' ton vehicle). This can also be found just as
often painted on the glassis plate.
Byron also mentions seeing the number 7 commonly which is also
seen quite a lot as a weight limit.

Byron if this is what you have got then the military rules require
that you cannot enter onto a bridge that has a classification number
(Bridge weight limit) smaller than the one shown on the vehicle you
are driving.

I would expect that the marking John is talking about would be a HOLLOW
circle
and far more likely to be painted on the Turret sides, then his
description
would be appropriate. I would then expect to find a Corp marking on the
left
mudguard (Fender in the US: but in Britain it is called a WING, or
that's what
my Ferret parts book says) rather than the national flag.

Regards
Doug
Broken Hill
Australia