Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Welder

Re: Welder

dunlops@racotek.com
Thu, 06 Feb 97 09:25:22

The MIG welder is great for sheet metal and chassis work up to about 3/16"
thick. Easy to use, lays down a strong, uniform bead. Higher-powered models
can handle thicker material but cost much more, are bigger, heavier, and
generally require a special electrical outlet.

I find an oxyacetylene torch to be necessary for lots of other shop chores, that
a MIG can't do -- cutting, heating stuck bolts, heating metal in order to bend
it, and the occasional situation where brazing is preferred over welding. With
proper tips you can weld steel up to any reasonable thickness. These can also
be used on sheet metal but this is a skill that requires practice (I have seen
people make perfect-looking hammer welds but I myself cannot do this).

If you're looking at a lot of rust work and other sheet metal repair, you are
right to think of a MIG. Otherwise an oxyacetylene rig might serve you best.

-Steve Dunlop