Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: MB engine seized

Re: MB engine seized

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 18:57:27 -0800

C3TX@aol.com wrote:

> This is a sad story.......................
>
> I started my MB after it sat for a few weeks. Gauge registered no oil
> pressure. Normally, I have 30lbs pressure within a few seconds. As the needle
> did not move, I initially assumed it was the gauge. Gauge was old, and I
> figured it would be O.K. to run the engine while I was troubleshooting
> problem. I often checked the head, to make sure it remained cool. It did.
>
> What was probably 30 min later, engine made screech and stopped. Block was at
> normal temp. At this time, I thought to check dip stick, and found it to be
> very low. Then I noticed new oil leak on ground. I quit, got out manuals, and
> came back few days later. Wouldn't turn, so I put new battery in place. Still
> would turn, so I tried to tow in gear. This made my clutch smoke.
>
> Any ideas? Is it likely the pistons have frozen into the block? why didn't
> the block heat up with friction before the engine seized? Have I ruined this
> engine? Any ideas on cost of rebuild?
>
> Craig

Craig

I would drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings. Those are probably
what "froze". Then put some marvel oil in the top of the cylinders.
Either take the head off and examine or try tapping the pistons from the
bottom. Do not try to free it up any other way, you could damage your
engine more!! If the main bearings or rod bearings are shot then you
will need to take the crankshaft out, etc. and replace the bearings as
needed. Lesson, if the gauge shows no oil pressure shut off immediatly
and find out why!!! i don't think you'll get off cheap with this one.
Good luck and hope everything turns out ok

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys