Military Vehicles, February 1997,: US Amphibious Tanks (Was: Humber Pig and M4A4LVT)

US Amphibious Tanks (Was: Humber Pig and M4A4LVT)

Andy Dingley (dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:47:48 GMT

On Sat, 08 Feb 1997, Tony Standefer wrote:

>If these are what I think they are they are called LVT(A)4's. These were
>standeard ww 2 amtraks built with thin armor plating and turrets mounting a
>75mm howitzer. [...] These "AMTANKS" were used in
>first waves of invasions for fire support.

Did US forces ever use the "Duplex Drive" amphibious equipment, other
than for the D Day / Western Europe landings ?

Duplex Drive was a canvas screen erected around the perimeter of a
fairly standard gun tank (mainly Shermans, but Valentines were also
used). Water drive was by means of a pair of propellors coupled to the
rear track roller. On a front-drive Sherman, this involved the normal
tensioner roller being fitted with a second sprocket, like the front
sprocket.

--
Smert' Spamionem