Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: US Amphibious Tanks (Was: Humber Pig and M4A4LVT)

Re: US Amphibious Tanks (Was: Humber Pig and M4A4LVT)

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:56:46 -0600 (CST)

Regarding DD Tanks: I have seen pictures of them being used (and I would
assume these were M4's) in river crossings (probably the Rhine.) The
main problem with the canvas screens was that at Normandy the sea was too
rough and the waves swamped the tank. Of course in the more docile
environment of a river they could be much more effectively used.

Mike Meister

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Feb 1997, Tony Standefer wrote:
>
> >If these are what I think they are they are called LVT(A)4's. These were
> >standeard ww 2 amtraks built with thin armor plating and turrets mounting a
> >75mm howitzer. [...] These "AMTANKS" were used in
> >first waves of invasions for fire support.
>
> Did US forces ever use the "Duplex Drive" amphibious equipment, other
> than for the D Day / Western Europe landings ?
>

> Duplex Drive was a canvas screen erected around the perimeter of a
> fairly standard gun tank (mainly Shermans, but Valentines were also
> used). Water drive was by means of a pair of propellors coupled to the
> rear track roller. On a front-drive Sherman, this involved the normal
> tensioner roller being fitted with a second sprocket, like the front
> sprocket.
>
> --
> Smert' Spamionem

Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
College Station, Texas
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
mike@agen.tamu.edu