Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: oil on MB engine

Re: oil on MB engine

Jess Minton (pd.minton@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:51:42 +0000

At 10:25 PM 2/10/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Tony Standefer wrote:
>
>> I have a peculiar problem on my MB. There is always a small amount of
>> oil on the air-cleaner crossover tube bracket. I've cleaned it off and
>> it still reappears. I have the late type dip-stick with the
>> recirculation tube on it. Is the vacuum of the carb sucking oil from
>> the dipstick or maybe its sucking oil out of the oilbath air filter. I
>> drained the air filter and it still shows up. Any ideas?
>>
>> tony Standefer
>>
>Tony,
> This sounds a lot like a problem that I have run into over the
>years. I think that you have excess base pressure which forces oil out of
>the base and up into the air filter. This is usually cused by worn out
>piston rings. If you pull a compression test on each of the cylinders you
>should be able to find out if your rings are in bad shape. I don't know
>off hand what the compression specs are for that particular engine. Hope
>this helps.
>
> Brian
Tony,
according to my jeep bible compression on a L-134 4 cyl flat head is
90-110 psi. If it's blowing blue smoke out the exhaust it's probably a
piston ring problem... to be honest if that was the only problem mine had
I'd be feeling pretty lucky. I'm trying an overhaul and looks like it's
going to be a pretty penny when it is all said and done.
Let me know if I can help with anything else...

Jess Minton
'43 GPW-128556
Arlington, Tx