Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Drive-By

Re: Drive-By

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:07:50 +0930

Gerry Davison wrote:

SNIPPED BITS

Gerry

> It must be about time to stop all of this and clean house if we
wish to
> prevent this list from becoming just another Usenet group. I
therefore wish
> to be presumptuous and suggest the following course of action. Please
> forgive any references to stuff you lot have have already considered.
I am
> merely being thorough.

I wasn't advocating being this drastic when I put my original
posting onto the list. I don't wish to see our whole set-up
turned upside down.

> 1) All hot-links to WWW are cut.

If we need to have drastic measures, how about leaving ONLY the MVPA
reference on their web page BUT not as a hot link. Make the
subscription
procedure the same as the Unsubscription procedure. That is by "the
putting
of the word subscri....." in an Email message. I have learnt to be wary
of
using Subscr.. and Unsubscri... in messages to the list as several have
now been gobbled up by the Email monster, never to appear (majordomo
perhaps?)

> 2) A note is sent to the list stating that within about a week,
all
> list members will be unsubscribed and have to subscribe again
if
> they wish to continue as members. I know this may give a
temporary
> headache, but it would mean that those who are not sure would
simply
> not resubscribe.

Please - NO! Remember we have now got a lot of Non-native English
speakers
on the list and the procedure may defeat their knowledge of English.

> 3) A new subscibe proceedure is set in place. When one
subscribes, one
> receives a welcome message stating what the list is about, who
it
> is for, how to send messages and unsubscribe, etc. The message
header
> contains a reply code in the subject line. The receiver of the
> message must send a reply to this message within, lets say 48
hours,
> containing the original subject line code. If this is done,
the
> person will be subscribed. If not, the original attempt will
be
> forgotten.

Same as my reply to point 2 above.

> 4) When time-out occurs, a final message is sent, and the list
erased.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with this concept or what you mean.

> "bounce duty" rosta

Perhaps, but I would expect too many hassles organising it.

My original suggestion of a democratic, volunteer responce to the
"drive-by's" may work, can we give it a go say a month. Arthur
could sit back and watch and only intervene if we get a wilful
nuisance.

If it fails then perhaps something more drastic could then be
considered.

The easy cure first eh?

Regards
Doug