Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: HMMWV DOT Safety Standards

Re: HMMWV DOT Safety Standards

New York Veterans Museum Inc. (nyvm@zelacom.com)
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:46:09 -0500

>Sean Bathrick wrote:
>
>> 1. No Park position on Auto. Transmission:
>>

>What's the deal here? Our church bus, an '86 Chev. (B6 Chassis) uses an
>Allison automatic, no park position. A civilian vehicle built for
>civilian use.
>

>> 2. No proper side impact protection: .............. These would
>> include the Samarais, Sidekicks, Trackers, etc...
>
>I have a Jeep Cj5, and roam a lot of junkyards. What I have noticed is
>that the Jeeps that are in serious accidents are usually no more than
>1/4 damaged. That is, only one corner, side, etc is damaged. The
>Sammies, etc typically have damage extending throughout. Example: one
>that has been t-boned will usually have extensive body damage on the
>opposite side, not to mention that the two seats are about two feet wide
>combined.
>
>DP...
>
>It seems to me that the Governments argument is weak. They sould be
challenged in court. Perserverance is the key to success. I can't beleive
that somewhere in this country there isn't an attorney who would be willing
to take on and perferate any excuse they use. Seems to me that people have
forgotten that Veterans are the reason that this country is here today.
Seems to me that people have forgotten the Boston Tea party. I think this is
an issue that prohibits citizens from doing some thing that they enjoy
doing. I have been in parades with National Guard units that use Hummers to
tow Field Artillery, Where there are thousands of spectators. If there is
danger upon stopping, due to no park position, the government is putting in
harms way, thousands of innnocent bystanders. Get the press involved,
investigate specific, polocy generated by DOD, and take them to Court.
Yours truly, Timothy Conover.