Military Vehicles, March 1997,: Re: Funding a WW2 Reenactme

Re: Funding a WW2 Reenactme

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:26:34 -0600 (CST)

I would like to add to this, seeing that I am the TMHS Treasurer. We are
allowed to use the vehicle(s)--right now there is only one in service, a
German Hetzer--but we maintain an account with a set amount to cover any
cost incurred if we "break their toy." It's sort of a security deposit.
The Hetzer is operated by TMHS members who have been properly checked
out. Also from time to time we are graced by the presence of the Admiral
Nimitz Museum's Stuart. Now, this is owned by the Nimitz museum and is
operated by their folks--I don't know if we pay them to come out or
what--I wasn't treasurer the last time they came out. Anyway, that's two
ways we get to use armor in our reenactments, so my suggestion is to cut
a deal with the Guard or a museum.

Mike Meister

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 RobRatt@aol.com wrote:

> I was responding to the query for the folks who are attempting to get funding
> from Ford for their club. I understood that they were re-enactors, and so
> assumed (a mistake on my part) that they were re-enacting German World War
> Two Soldiers.
>
> As for the bit about the National Guard, the Texas Military Historical
> Society in part with the Texas National Guard run a museum at Camp Mabry in
> Autin, Texas. At this museum is kept several vehicles used by TMHS. The
> National Guard performs the maintenance and stores the vehicle. There is a
> detailed contract between TMHS and the Texas National Guard on this very
> matter.
>
> I was simply passing along a bit of info that your Guard unit might sponsor
> the re-enactors, if that is what they truly are.
>
> If I am mistaken on this, or have misdirected this communication, please let
> me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Robert Ratliff
> Houston, Texas
> RobRatt@aol.com

Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
College Station, Texas
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
mike@agen.tamu.edu