Military Vehicles, April 1997,: Re: [MV] Re: What else but DUKW's

Re: [MV] Re: What else but DUKW's

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:48:16 +0930

> The main problem we have right now is that we can't remove the drain
> plugs from the propellor shaft housings, they won't move and they
> haven't moved ever since we got the DUKW. We tried everything: heating,
> cooling off, special oil a hammer, nothing worked. We're afraid that
> when we use to much force, we will damage the housings. Anybody know's
> some propellor shaft housings for sale????.

Auke

I had the same problem with the socket plugs on my Greyhound diff's.
The only way I was able to remove them was to electric weld a piece of
steel filed to suit to the plug and then grind some flats on it so a
large spanner would fit. The combination of heat affecting the rust
and the force of the large spanner was sufficient. Be carefull you
don't accidentally get any weld on the housing!

Regards
Doug

M8 GREYHOUND & Other Armoured Vehicles
_______