Military Vehicles, April 1997,: Re: [MV] Crosley Ultra-lights

Re: [MV] Crosley Ultra-lights

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:10:05 +0200

At 10:26 PM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to ask the mailing list about the value of two jeeps or
>experimental jeeps that I have found in the past few days. I have seen
>several pictures of them in some Jeep books. They are the entry of
>Crosley into the bidding to produce a reduced weight airborne jeep in
>1944. They are running and complete. What would be a fair price for
>both of them. I only know of 2 others in the US. Please let me know if
>you know of any in the US or any where else. I might consider a trade
>or sell one in the future if any body is interested. Also what are the
>production numbers for it.

In Crismon's book 'U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles' the Crosley entries are
featured on p.203-205. Crosley designed a lightweight 4x4 in 1942, called
the Pup. After initial testing, 36 were ordered and sent to the Army, Air
Force and Ordance for further user testing. One of these is said to survive
in the Transportation Corps Museum at Ft. Eustis, Virginia.
In 1943 three more variants of the Pup were built for yet more testing: an
1,125 pond "Light Truck" (no photos known to exist), an 1,135 pound 2 seater
"Scout" and a 885 pound stripped model (which had a body largely made out of
canvas).

Prices? I'd first check if they are really genuine, then decide for yourself
if they are worth what the owner is asking. I don't have to tell you there's
no current 'market rate' for this sort of vehicles.

>Last but not least, I know of an 3 wheeled
>jeep, any clue, I'll fill in the info later as I get it. I believe it
>to be a British experiement on a Willys frame (1944) Let me know if you
>have any info on it. please post to me and I'll forward it to the
>mailing list. Thanks in advance.
> jason the courious.912-794-3566

Wheels & Tracks magzine issue no.50 tells the full story on the
Nuffield-bodied Willys MB Jeep, a prototype airborne variant. That is the
only "British experiement on a Willys frame" I can think of. I did read
something about some sort of "3-wheeled Jeep" in Wheels & Tracks (cannot
remember the issue), but that one was American.

Regards,
Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands