Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] matching numbers

Re: [MV] matching numbers

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Tue, 06 May 1997 21:40:58 +0200

DOConnor@zoomit.sikorsky.com wrote:

> Auke,
> Hey, you never know. My comments were meant only as guidelines based on
> personal experience and knowledge and worth exactly nothing or something; you
> decide. The assembly line practice of piling up parts or assemblies and then
> the workers putting the next available one on the vehicle does not lend
> itself to matching numbers but it does/did happen. The rule of thumb we give
> to newcomers to the hobby is:"If you're happy with how you finish the truck
> then the heck with anyone who doesn't like it". You only have to please
> yourself and if you're satisfied it's matching then it is. We hope to get a
> look at an unmolested chaplin's jeep soon and increase our understanding. The
> current owner lived across from the church and was in WW2 with the pastor. It
> was never damaged and the pastor brought it home, trailer and all. When he
> died his kids gave it to our friend who drove it across the street and into
> the barn it's in today. Sitting so long hurt the engine and he has it out for
> repair but otherwise it has never been apart. Remember, the later the
> delivery date the less "F" stuff it should have on it and a common mistake we
> see in shows here is over-restoration of late Ford's which costs the
> indignant owner points off. Funny, the following year it has less F's! Maybe
> the more experienced GPW guys on the list can be of help with what should or
> shouldn't be "F" marked on a 6-30-44.
> As a side note if you don't mind: How did you ship the jeep? Dad wants to
> be prepared for Beltring this summer. Parts he can UPS home but nothing that
> big. I don't know where we'd put another truck right now anyway. Any thoughts
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis O'Connor
> Naugatuck, CT, USA
>
> ===

Hi Dennis, I also read about the fact that late production GPW's had
lesser "F" marked bolts and parts in it, that's why we were a bit
surprised about the amount of "F" marked parts in ours. Last year or
so I thought there was a massage on the list about a guy in Norway
or Iceland who had a "never rebuilt" MB or GPW with all the markings
still on it, I would like to see that one sometime.
We shipped 2 Dodges and one Jeep in one 40ft container, they had to
remove the front of one Dodge in order to get the Jeep on top of it.
They shipped it out of Vancouver B.C.(beautiful place, but in our
view on the wrong side of Canada) to Rotterdam and it cost us about
2500 $US. That's our experience in transportation from U.S./Canada to
Europe, we also know that there are all kinds of cars being shipped
very reguarly from Florida to Europe on "roll on roll off" ships,
but there is more risk involved (damage, stealing parts).
We are planning on going to Beltring also, it's getting bigger
every year.

Regards,
Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen The Netherlands