Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] M35 Wheel Bearing seals

Re: [MV] M35 Wheel Bearing seals

Underground Utilities - Tom Chism (tchism@terraworld.net)
Tue, 6 May 1997 17:56:55 -0500

In my opinion wheel bearings in a full floating axle should always be
packed with bearing grease. Those that use gear oil for lubrication will
eventually wash the grease out but the grease will provide the initial
lube. This procedure is called for in Ford Truck service manuals and I have
seen bearings fail 300 miles down the road when this wasn't done.

Inexpensive wheel bearing packers are available at many parts stores, these
use a grease gun to force the grease into the bearings. Much easier than
doing it by hand.

Hope this helps.

Tom
1942 CCKW