Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] matching numbers

Re: [MV] matching numbers

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Sat, 10 May 1997 22:52:24 +0200

GIjeeps@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-07 16:16:29 EDT, willys@vgernet.net (Jeff Polidoro)
> writes:
>
> << I have always understood (and
> seen) that the engine, frame and DOD tag, as a rule, (originally) match on
> GPWs and that the frame tag and DOD tag match on MBs. I have always
> attributed this to different assembly line techniques. I imagine that Ford
> had blank components which were assembled and then numbered or had numbered
> engine blocks and blank frames and stamped the engine number on the frame
> (or vice-versa) and then completed the process with a dash tag stamped to
> match. Willys engines, on the other hand, don't match the frame or DOD
> tag. Willys, apparently, numbered engines and frames seperately and
> diddn't worry about marrying them up later. The dash tag, however,
> reflected the frame tag number. I've never seen an MB with 3 matching
> numbers. >>
> When debating matching or non matching numbers there are a few things to keep
> in mind. First of all there has been so much posted about this in recent days
> that some of the most basic facts have been obscured. When a GPW rolled off
> the assembly line all three of its numbers matched. More specifically, the
> frame and body were numbered to match the motor. The GPW motors were all cast
> in the same place and were numbered sequentially as they were produced. The
> were placed in the "Engine Room" at the Ford factory. From this room the were
> pulled RANDOMLY out to the factory floor to be used in production or shipped
> by rail to the other Ford factories that produced GPW jeeps. This is why my
> GPW #4 was not accepted for service until April 10 of 1942 even though the
> engine had been cast back in Jan. It was the 4th GPW engine to be cast on the
> very first day of production and it can be assumed that it was placed in one
> of the back corners of the Engine Room and more new engines were placed in
> front of it. Ford was behind schedule from the very start with their first
> GPW contract so it may have been weeks before that engine was pulled from the
> back of the room out to the factory floor and many later #ed engines were
> used before #4. As the frames came down the line and were mated with a body
> and various components they were eventually mated up with an engine near the
> end of the line. The body and frame were then stamped with the number that
> was on the motor. This is why you get such scattered Dates of Delivery for
> GPWs. Willys is basically the same situation exept that they only
> manufactured their own motors and numbered them sequentially just like Ford.
> Willys frames and body tubs were manufactured by other companies and sent to
> Willys to be turned into jeeps so they were numbered seperately. Keep in mind
> that your Willys body tub does have its own seperate serial number stamped
> into the left frame support gusset but it is not an MB # and is not used for
> [...]

You've got GPW#4, now that's something special, I hope you keep it
in good shape, I wonder if there is a #3 or #2 or #1 left.
I have never seen a GPW generator engine, I did see lots of MB
generator engines.

Best Regards,
Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen The Netherlands