Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Mon, 12 May 1997 21:10:47 +0200

Colin Brookes wrote:

> In message <970511184856_-264783128@emout09.mail.aol.com>,
> GIjeeps@aol.com writes
>
> > After all, even at the biggest MV rallys, whats the most WWII
> >jeeps you have ever seen in the same place at the same time? 5 to 10? maybe
> >15?
>
> You havn't been to any European rally's, have you ? There's a big world
> outside of the US of A.
>
> There are normaly several hundred at 'Beltring', 50 or 60 at 'Southsea'
> etc etc. Our club fielded 50 for the VJ Day parade two years ago (50
> to mark the 50th anniversary).
>
> regards
>
> Colin Brookes
> Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
> colb@xtra.co.nz
>
> ===

I agree with Colin, in Holland in relatively small rally's there are
always 10 to 20 MB/GPW's present. In big rally's like
"Market Garden '94" there were 100 to 120. In the big "Liberation-
celebrations May '95" which were held in lots of places all over
the country, we were asked by our regional MV-organization to
participate with "everything of WW2 origin that could drive
(that is not axis off course)" in order to transport the huge
loads of veterans that were joining the parades (I will never
forget the '95 parades, the look in the eyes of the veterans
and the people who were liberated, very emotional). Anyway there
must have been around 300 MB/GPW's on the streets then. We were
doing a 300+ MV parade through 5 big towns and there were at
least 40 MB/GPW's in our parade, at the same time they were doing
about 10-12 other parades elsewhere, and ours wasn't even the biggest.
Holland is a small country, France for example has a lot more MV-
organizations with more members, more MV's etc. And let's not forget
the British MV-clubs who are the biggest in Europe. I think there are
more than 10000 MB/GPW's around.

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen The Netherlands