Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Tue, 13 May 1997 20:35:43 +0200

GIjeeps@aol.com wrote:

> Congratulations on the big turn outs at those shows and thanks to your
> members for the hard work it must take to put that kind of a crowd together.
> I certainly did not intend to disinclude anyone's jeeps, anywhere from
> consideration, but the original point has not changed; there are too damn few
> good WWII jeeps left in the world.
> Wouldn't you agree that a turn out like that can be considered the exception
> more than the rule in most parts of the world? Western Europe is a different
> situation for a lot of reasons too numerous to list here. In fact I wouldn't
> be surprised to find that there are more WWII US army jeeps in Western Europe
> than there are in the US.
> I meant to add this to my earlier posting before it becomes a bone of
> contention around the list; for simplicity's sake lets consider a
> "restorable" jeep one that can be returned to a good likeness of original
> configuration for less than the cost of its fair market value. Or in
> otherwords one that COULD be restored to Factory or Near Factory condition
> for around $10,000-12,000
>
> ===

Forgot to tell, that in Holland the problem at the moment is that we
discover at rally's more and more converted Hotchkiss jeeps.
Some have original MB/GPW chassis, others still have 24V electrics
wrong wheels etc, but are painted in WW2 livery. And what do we
have to do with guys who buy Hotchkiss jeeps and put repro combat
rims on them, put complete NOS 6V electrics in it, change Hotchkiss body
into MB/GPW body, put some WW2 U.S. markings on them, and sell them
as MB or GPW to a guy who is new to the world of MV's.
There is a guy in Bernieres-Sur-Mere (Normandy) who sells MB/GPW's
and also Hotchkiss painted in WW2 U.S. markings, but at least he
is hounest and tells that it's a Hotchkiss.

Regards,
Auke Dijkstra,
Haaksbergen The Netherlands