Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

Brian & Robin Mead (bmead@atl.mindspring.com)
Tue, 13 May 1997 20:49:46 -0400 (EDT)

>> We also realize that many components will have been changed but with
>a large enough sampling we expect to see clear patterns emerge from the
>database whereby we can tell which components ...

Well, I seem to be in luck. I shall present a test case :-)
I have just bought another Willys MB. (my second) I bought it from my
neighbor who has let it sit in his field for about the last 23 years.
Luckily though, whenever it rained it was on a hill and drained pretty well
(surface rust but nothing too deep). My problem is that the dash plates
have been removed, the engine is a replacement, and being new to this I
don't know where the frame # is located. He didn't even have the last tag
receipt so I can't track the age that way.

I plan to combine this vehicle with my other Willys MB which still has a
correct engine and the dash plates, but it's body panels are all rusted past
any attempt of rescue. Is the "new" vehicle created by the combination now
the one which donated the frame, the one I have info on, or is it neither?
If I use the Willys MB without dash plates for the frame how can I fill out
the dash plates for it? I don't want to commit fraud (I also never intend
to sell my Willys so false information is not an issue) but I would hate to
have to leave the dash plates blank.

In an earlier post GIjeeps@aol.com said:
>A jeep that can be restored to a good likeness
>of original configuration at a cost less than or equal the fair market value.
>I use this measurement because it seems likely that any jeep which has
>deteriorated beyond this point will eventually be scrapped by some fool or
>parted out by some crafty fellow such as myself. (or restored by some glutton
>for punishment who doesn't know any better.)
If I can trade the engine, transmission, & possibly the axles to make a
complete (still surface rusty & missing stuff like the blackout light etc.)
Willys, am I a greater glutton for punishment than the rest of the people
trying to restore their first Willys or just an equal glutton? Please be
truthful! By the way, I paid $150 for the Willys with the good body & $450
for the Willys that runs but has rusted body panels so I don't have a great
amount invested yet.

Also, being that I have a couple of decades of rust removal to deal with,
has anyone dealt with Bill Hirsch Chemicals for restoration supplies. I
have their catalog and it all seems good but being new to this I want to be
sure. Their web page is www.hirschauto.com If y'all (sorry, I'm from
Georgia) know of better sources for refinishing supplies please tell me.

Thanks for all the assistance,

Brian Mead
Griffin, GA.
Willys MB '44