Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Roll Call

Re: [MV] Roll Call

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Tue, 13 May 1997 23:57:07 -0400

Piece of cake. First you have to find out what you have. Frame tag is on
the inside of front left frame horn behind the bumper on both Jeeps. If
you want to use the body from the new Jeep on your 44, to be correct, it
has to be a "composite" body. If the VIN indicates it's a 44 or 45 it has
a composite body if it's original. If it's a 41, 42 or 43, the body is
noticeably different from a 44 and wouldn't be correct. If the VIN
indicates it's pre 44, you could still get lucky. If the engine was
changed, the body may have been too. If it has no glove box or says WILLYS
on the rear panel, it's not a composite. If it doesn't say WILLYS and has
a glove box, it's probably a composite but not definitely. What you need
is someone to identify the body for you.

Combining the best parts of the two Jeeps to make the best possible
vehicle, certainly, makes sense but it has its limitations. My feeling is
your best bet is to use the complete original tag set that you have the
original engine for, even if it requires finding a composite body. Use the
rest of the driveline as well since all that stuff has casting numbers and
date codes on them. It's not as obvious, but using the front axle from one
Jeep and the rear from another is as detectable as using the frame tag from
one and the dash plaque from another. You seem to be leaning toward the
new frame. It seems unlikely that after 23 years that frame could be the
basis of as much effort and money as you're describing. In that time much
more moisture has come up through the ground than ever fell from the sky.
You often see Jeeps which were never rained on in barns with dirt floors.
>From above they look like a real find, underneath they look like peat moss.
But I haven't seen it and you have. I'd look it over very carefully,
looking for rust between double sections pushing the 2 pieces apart.

Even if you did end up using the identity of the new one I don't see why
you'd have to leave the dash plaque blank. You'd know the VIN from the
frame tag and you could figure out a delivery date from other Jeeps. If
you don't get it exact you can keep reasearching until you do and then make
another new one. The problem is finding the exact right dash plaque.

Forget about the glutton stuff, have the body acid dipped and fix the Jeep.
It's your duty.

Hope this helps. Post every number you can find on both Jeeps, describe
the new body and we'll figure it out completely. Oh yeah, one more thing,
you said, "Whenever it rained it was on a hill". Where was it the rest of
the time?

Regards,

JP