Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] GPW detailing

Re: [MV] GPW detailing

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 27 May 1997 22:42:48 -0700

Michael Meister wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I have a qustion concerning proper detailing of the 6-V generator and
> starter for my GPW. It appears at some point they were rebuilt and had a
> shot of black applies to all surfaces. However I'm guessing that the
> rear plates (that hold the brushes) were cadmium plated and the pulley of
> the generator as well as the strater drive housing were bare metal, (the
> remainder being black).
> Again, I don't have any good pictures of these items to go by and it sure
> would be a pain to go back an redo them at a later date. Also, does
> anyone know where I can get the correct data tags for these items in new
> condition?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

> Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
> Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
> Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
> Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
> College Station, Texas
> --Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
> http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
> mike@agen.tamu.edu
>
> ===
> UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of a message to <mil-veh-request@skylee.com>. Mike

it was my understanding that all of the generators and starters were
painted semi-gloss black. In detailing and rebuilding my own jeeps this
is the color i have consistently found on these parts. usually the
military did not "rebuild" parts but replaced them with a new or rebuilt
unit. i would check brent mullins for the data plates.

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys MB
Seattle, Wa