Military Vehicles, May 1997,: Re: [MV] Gamma goat

Re: [MV] Gamma goat

John Emery (jemery@execpc.com)
Thu, 29 May 1997 21:39:32 -0500

>I was going to dump the diesel, since a) I know nothing about them, and b)
>I've been told they are almost "unobtainum" for the goat, and suck if you
>can find 'em.

I was in Houston two years ago at a place called 'All Diesel USA'. They are
basically an engine broker world wide. They had sitting on the floor a good
40 plus NEW complete gamma goat power plants, radiator to tranny, of recent
production. Didn't ask the price because I was there for Perkins engines.
If your interested the guys name was Mike at 713-874-0767 or I think a newer
number is 713-672-7300. Im not necessarily endorsing this place, I had some
problems with them but they did take care of it.

>What I'm thinking is a 501 CID caddy engine, or possibly a smallblock chevy
>(I have both) depending on what kind of horsepower / torque it needs... I
>had assumed I would need to custom build the adaptor plates, etc.

I had always thought that an old GMC V-6 truck engine (305, 351, 401, or
478) would be a nice thing in a goat. Compact and yet has the kind of
torque curve that a 7000+ pound tub would like.

je